You Can't Afford to Skimp on UM/UIM Insurance

California law requires drivers to carry at least a minimal amount of insurance in order to drive legally: $15,000/$30,000 in liability insurance plus $5,000 for property damage. How does that work? If a driver with the minimum insurance is found liable in an accident, the insurance company will pay up to $15,000 in damages if one person is injured by that driver — or up to a total of $30,000 if more than one was injured. The $5,000 goes toward damage to the car or possessions.

Why should you be worried? You have lots of liability insurance.

The problem is that personal injury claims almost always result in damages far higher than $15,000 or even $30,000. If you are injured by a driver with minimal insurance, who pays the rest?

You do — or your insurance company does, through your uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage. But only if you have enough.

How Much UM/UIM Insurance Do You Need?

At The Law Offices of Linda Ross in San Francisco, we talk to injured people every day and we have seen the tragedy of insufficient insurance play out over and over.

Let's face it: The driver who hits you may not be the most responsible person on the road.

It's true that California has made great progress in reducing the number of uninsured drivers on the road, but underinsured drivers are still legion. As personal injury lawyers, we know that the most important source of injury compensation — by far — is insurance. Without it, few of us could afford tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills, lost wages and permanent harm.

If you were in a car accident and the other driver only had $15,000 in insurance, your own UM/UIM policy would be the main source of insurance coverage. If you've skimped on it, you won't have enough to pay your basic expenses, much less deal with a catastrophic injury.

We urge you to max out on uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. At the very least you should have $300,000 per person and $500,000 per accident. If you can, consider adding an excess policy to cover you if an injury keeps you from working long term, or worse.

Please don't wait. Increase your UM/UIM coverage today, before you get in an accident.

Contact Us Now for Answers to Your Insurance Questions

At The Law Offices of Linda Ross, our personal injury attorneys are here to help. We are happy to offer initial phone or office consultations at no cost of obligation, and we handle personal injury claims on a contingency fee basis. You pay attorney's fees only when we successfully obtain compensation on your behalf. Call us at 415-692-7689 or contact us online.